Thread: 1st Gen Coyote Motors Breaking Down?

CMC Newbie CMC Newbie!

Question 1st Gen Coyote Motors Breaking Down?

Hey Everyone!

Just to give a little back story. 7 years ago I purchased a brand new 2013 Mustang V6. It was my first sports car and it was amazing! Due to financial issues and a change in career I needed to trade it in for a bigger vehicle. Ever since then I have been counting down the days until I would be able to get another Mustang. This summer I am finally going to re-invest. I have been so overwhelmed with options and information I am hoping the CMC fam can help me out. I am looking to buy a used Mustang GT Manual(5sp or 6sp). I would love a 1st Gen Coyote but have heard of some developing piston problems or some kind of ticking noises and what not. This has really mad me interested in a 4.6L 3V. At the end of the day horsepower doesn't really matter. I just want a reliable Mustang with a good sounding V8. Which leads me to a few questions. Is the 4.6L 3V a safer buy? Do I assume that if I buy a 1st Gen Coyote(11-14) with 60k or more miles it will develop issues? Do I wait and save a little more for a used 2nd Gen Coyote(15-18)?

Thanks everyone I hope this all makes sense!

Fat Tire Hotrods CMC SuperCobraJet strtcar's Avatar

I would avoid a 3v and get a coyote, much better platform to build off of. Checkout Dynottunemp Facebook page, they are doing a 2011 with like 100k miles and trying to make it go 9 secs by spending very little money. I realize you don't care about horsepower, but if you do the coyote will be a better bolt on platform.

CMC Newbie CMC Newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by strtcar View Post
    I would avoid a 3v and get a coyote, much better platform to build off of. Checkout Dynottunemp Facebook page, they are doing a 2011 with like 100k miles and trying to make it go 9 secs by spending very little money. I realize you don't care about horsepower, but if you do the coyote will be a better bolt on platform.
    Ok, I deff appreciate your input. Thanks!

^ Amateur Using Nitrous Oxide CMC Administrator MGLT's Avatar

I would choose a coyote over the 4.6 3V. The 3V is a good engine, but has its issues too. The 3V is notorious for having sparkplugs break off in the heads when you try to replace them for the first time.

The 5.0 is a stout engine. There are plenty of them out there with 100,000 miles+. The piston issues you mentioned on 1st Gen coyotes was more of an aftermarket tuning problem in the early days before everyone understood the new engine.
    -Matt

2012 Mustang Boss 302 - Garage Queen Edition
    1990 Mustang 5.0 LX - Round the block race car
    1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

CMC Paid Sponsor CMC Sponsor BEAST's Avatar

Terminator 4v> coyote> foxbody 5.0> eco boost > 3v-2v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bone Stock!
    Al Piemonte Ford Sales
    847-288-9604
    John G

Custom Tuner CMC Sponsor DynotuneMP's Avatar

We have a 117,000 mile 1st gen making 415 at the tires with just a few bolt on's and stock air box. We rev this car to 7500 rpms with no issue.
    www.DynotuneMP.com

847-347-5331 or email: Mike@DynotuneMP.com

We have the Lowest prices in Northern IL on Vortech,Paxton, and Pro-Charger super chargers.

We are now the largest Vortech and Paxton Supercharger dealer in Northern IL. Please contact us for the best prices around.

VISA & MASTERCARD accepted

CMC Newbie CMC Newbie!

As noted, the broken piston was from tuners tuning out the knock sensor and detonating the #8 cylinder. Not really an issue anymore if you have a reputable tuner. There are noises with the typewriter tick. That issue seems to be very random and other than the noise, doesn't seem to affect performance at all. I have a first gen Coyote (2011) and my motor doesn't make any noises and the MT-82 shifts like butter. Mine has been rock solid except for the seat adjustments, which I fixed on my own for fifty bucks. The second gens make slightly more power and are nicer overall. I suppose the biggest factor would be if you want IRS or what your long term plans are.

Registered User CMC 289

Quote Originally Posted by !SBig0JayS! View Post
    Hey Everyone!

Just to give a little back story. 7 years ago I purchased a brand new 2013 Mustang V6. It was my first sports car and it was amazing! Due to financial issues and a change in career I needed to trade it in for a bigger vehicle. Ever since then I have been counting down the days until I would be able to get another Mustang. This summer I am finally going to re-invest. I have been so overwhelmed with options and information I am hoping the CMC fam can help me out. I am looking to buy a used Mustang GT Manual(5sp or 6sp). I would love a 1st Gen Coyote but have heard of some developing piston problems or some kind of ticking noises and what not. This has really mad me interested in a 4.6L 3V. At the end of the day horsepower doesn't really matter. I just want a reliable Mustang with a good sounding V8. Which leads me to a few questions. Is the 4.6L 3V a safer buy? Do I assume that if I buy a 1st Gen Coyote(11-14) with 60k or more miles it will develop issues? Do I wait and save a little more for a used 2nd Gen Coyote(15-18)?

Thanks everyone I hope this all makes sense!
    nothing wrong with a 3v.they are good engines .any modular engine is reliable.the problems always start when people pushing stock engine over the limits they were designed for

"What happens in Vegas, Stays in KITT" CMC 289 krkitt1's Avatar

Have 151,000 miles on my 09 GT and so far no problems except the last 2 times Iíve driven it to Vegas the check engine light came on, p0420 code I think the cats are getting weak. The 09 didnít have the problems with the spark plugs, itís a different plug but Iíve always changed mine between 25-30 k. Itís also my daily driver. Mine drivetrain is stock except powder coated valve covers and a CAI.
    Last edited by krkitt1; 04-25-2020 at 09:09 AM.
    "What happens in Vegas, Stays in KITT"

CMC Paid Sponsor CMC Sponsor BEAST's Avatar

Coyote or bust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bone Stock!
    Al Piemonte Ford Sales
    847-288-9604
    John G

Thread Information