Thread: A Mechanics Process......

Senior Member CMC CobraJet

Default A Mechanics Process......

Hey All,

Long time since I posted on this site but wanted to get everyone's opinion on this situation. I brought my 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe in after it overheated ONCE (and not again after I refilled the fluid). My wife was driving it and stopped immediately. I refilled the coolant because it was at L on the overfill tank. I drove it 20 miles with no overheating issues. Now, the heat was on and off, meaning, it was hot for a short while and at stop lights it would cool to regular temperature. Anyhow, I brought the car in and they apparently found a seal crack/leak in the side of the radiator. They replaced the radiator and called me for my car on Friday night. I took the car and the heat was fine, no overheating, and then boom the heat goes to cold. So now, I have to drive this car back Friday morning for them to take a look at it.

NOTE: I did mention the heat was on and off when I brought it to them the FIRST time. Now, I bought my car in first thing in the morning on Saturday for them to take a look. It takes them hours to pull it in and they tell me they need to go to Mr. Radiator for a power flush of the system but that couldn't happen until Monday (today). Today, they had my call ALL day long, they took it to Mr. Radiator and it got back in the afternoon and they call and tell me the thermostat is leaking and needs to be replaced.

I am wondering what is the normal process for a mechanic or a reputable shop to look at these things. I feel like now I am getting the runaround when they should have looked at the Thermostat FIRST (or after they replaced the radiator?) He is making is sound like the power flush has now cleared everything so it is getting "pressure" so it showing the leak......Can anyone let me know what these guys should be doing?

Radiator replacement - $550
    Mr. Radiator power flush - $180

Now I am about to get a price of a radiator thermostat tomorrow. I am going to mention that it is BS that they didn't check all of this on Friday when they released my car but I don't know if that is going to do anything for me.
    No Mustang!

See you on the streets!

Beer is good CMC Boss351 Five-0's Avatar

My main question would be why isn't any of this covered under warranty?

Senior Member CMC CobraJet

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    My main question would be why isn't any of this covered under warranty?
    2nd owner - up to 5 years or 60k miles. It has 62k on it. I checked that, right away. Regardless, I ended up taking it to another shop and they still have not found that actual issue.
    No Mustang!

See you on the streets!

Registered User CMC Newbie!

It sounds to me that you have a head gasket problem, that would explain the loss of coolant and radiator leaking. I've been involved in problems like this before when I was a tech. Try this, install a coolant system pressure tester and observe the pressure buildup with the engine running, then when it starts to blow cold pressurize the system and see if it blows hot. If it does, time to tear it apart. Good luck.

Thread Information