Thread: Foxbody won't start, help me diagnose

Registered User CMC 302

Default Foxbody won't start, help me diagnose

Hey all, so my car will turn over one time and then it just clicks. try again and a lot of the time it does nothing. Is this an issue with the starter or ignition switch or grounds or starter solenoid? Just thoughts. I was thinking a short in the starter because one of the times I let off the key and it just kept clicking and the lights were flashing like it was trying to start, but wasn't turning over or anything. Also, I seem to be able to get it started by jumping it.
    I drive a Prius.... and an 88 Mustang GT. Guess which one is more fun.

my shit is slow CMC Boss460 BOTTLEFED's Avatar

Gonna say you need a new battery

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Ls swap hater 001
    Cmc mcrib crew 001
    Cmc sn95 crew 001
    Head of CMC streamwood chapter

Registered User CMC 302

Quote Originally Posted by BOTTLEFED View Post
    Gonna say you need a new battery

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Really? It's fully charged. After I try to start, it still reads over 12v is there something else that can go wrong with that?

Registered User CMC 302 Venomblue22's Avatar

you said one of the times the starter kept clicking after you tuned the key off? My starter selonoid hung up and did that same thing, once. it was becuase the battery was low. had to replace the selinoid and the battery, since then all good. When the battery is low, the switch inside the selonoid trys to in a sense weld itself shut and if the car actually starts the start will be constantly in the start position with the motor running, and then you burn up a starter. Ask me how I know

Registered User CMC 302

It was the battery. Thanks

^ Amateur Using Nitrous Oxide CMC Event Coordinator MGLT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venomblue22 View Post
    you said one of the times the starter kept clicking after you tuned the key off? My starter selonoid hung up and did that same thing, once. it was becuase the battery was low. had to replace the selinoid and the battery, since then all good. When the battery is low, the switch inside the selonoid trys to in a sense weld itself shut and if the car actually starts the start will be constantly in the start position with the motor running, and then you burn up a starter. Ask me how I know
    Yup. This happens because The relay can't fully close. An arc jumps across the gap between contacts. The relay will eventually burn itself or weld the contacts together.

I just replaced the battery in my daily driver last weekend. I load tested it myself and knew the battery was bad. I took it to my local autozone and dropped it at the counter for my core charge. As I'm looking at the batteries on the shelf, the kid working there tested my old battery and comes over to tell me it's good. I told him, I don't care, I'm buying a new battery. Now he's telling me he can't sell me a battery because the one I brought in is good and they didn't want me to come back to the store to return a new battery if it didn't solve my problem. After telling them I was going to O'Reilly to buy a battery, they finally sold it to me
    -Matt

2012 Mustang Boss 302 - Garage Queen Edition
    1990 Mustang 5.0 LX - Round the block race car
    1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

Thread Information