Thread: Getting my scrap going after sitting for a (long) while

I Pitty The Foo CMC SuperCobraJet DarkShadow04's Avatar

Default Getting my scrap going after sitting for a (long) while

Hello CMC'ers. It has been quite a while since I have posted here. Lots of life has happened and a 99 Cobra has been left to sit for about 4.5 years as a result of frustration.

A while back my car started overheating while I was driving it. This caused me to park it, get a new DD and I neglected it for about 2 years. I replaced the radiator, water pump, and thermostat only to attempt starting the car and finding out the starter was not working properly. I swore at the car kicked the tire and left it for 2 more years. I have finally gotten the itch to make it go again, but now have some major issues.

Lots of surface rust and a completely rotted core-support. I cant get the exhaust bolts off to get to the starter bolts to even attempt getting the car running again.

I called a body shop and they want over $1500 to replace the core support which seems a bit excessive.

Is there anyone with more experience in the South Elgin area willing to give their opinion, lend a hand, or just tell me I should scrap it.

1999 SVT Cobra Black on Black

Senior Member CMC CobraJet ModularMadMan's Avatar
    From Donald Trump's "Basket Of Deplorables"

Did this car spend its entire life being driven in the Chicagoland salt belt?
    If your car has surface rust and a rotted out core support; you can bet the rockers and frame rails are gone too.
    You’ll need to do a complete undercarriage inspection to be sure; and I don’t think you’re going to like what you’ll find.
    Something to consider:
    You can shop the southern states for a rust free V6 and transfer everything from your Cobra to the V6 car.

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Post Dislike Butthurt Victims Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

^ Amateur Using Nitrous Oxide CMC Event Coordinator MGLT's Avatar

You can buy tubular replacement lower radiator supports. Team Z sells them and I'm sure there are others. They are pretty easy to weld in if you are decent with a MIG welder or have a friend who can help.
    -Matt

2012 Mustang Boss 302 - Garage Queen Edition
    1990 Mustang 5.0 LX - Round the block race car
    1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

I Pitty The Foo CMC SuperCobraJet DarkShadow04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ModularMadMan View Post
    Did this car spend its entire life being driven in the Chicagoland salt belt?
    If your car has surface rust and a rotted out core support; you can bet the rockers and frame rails are gone too.
    You’ll need to do a complete undercarriage inspection to be sure; and I don’t think you’re going to like what you’ll find.
    Something to consider:
    You can shop the southern states for a rust free V6 and transfer everything from your Cobra to the V6 car.
    Yes, it has. I didn't think the underside of the car really looked all that bad. I was pretty good about keeping up on car washing during the winter months to keep as much salt off the car as possible. But I don't have the time or room to dedicate to finding a replacement shell and transferring things over.

Quote Originally Posted by MGLT View Post
    You can buy tubular replacement lower radiator supports. Team Z sells them and I'm sure there are others. They are pretty easy to weld in if you are decent with a MIG welder or have a friend who can help.
    I have 0 welding skills, and I don't know anyone who welds.

I guess this is a sad realization that it might be time to let my Mustang and CMC years go. Maybe someday I can get back into it.

1999 SVT Cobra Black on Black

^ Amateur Using Nitrous Oxide CMC Event Coordinator MGLT's Avatar

I wouldn't give up that easy. There are plenty of people around here who would be willing to help you out. Unfortunately the forum doesn't have much traffic these days. I hate to direct people to facebook, but everything is over there. Join our group Chicagoland Mustang Club (CMC) and post up some pictures with your questions there.

A lot of the people who used to post here and give good tech advice are in the facebook group.
    -Matt

2012 Mustang Boss 302 - Garage Queen Edition
    1990 Mustang 5.0 LX - Round the block race car
    1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

Thread Information