Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CombatMedic's '93 Coupe

Registered User CMC Newbie! CombatMedic's Avatar

Default CombatMedic's '93 Coupe

We'll see if I can make this work now...

Three years into this project, I figured that I'd finally made enough progress to start a build thread and document my slow, but steady progress. If nothing else, I can share with the group all of the good and bad parts of a budget-oriented, ground up street/strip build. Most folks will notice that, for a street driven car, I am going overboard on some areas of the build. This is simply because I have wasted so much money over the years buying and later replacing parts or redoing finished work, that I wanted to build a base that would still work for future upgrades.

To make a long story (somewhat) short, after months of searching for a coupe to build, I bought someone else's project intending to drive it and make upgrades along the way. Well, with a Vortech blown 347 (stock block) the car had the power that I wanted, but the parts were an odd combination of street, strip and road race parts that didn't work together at all. Stock brakes and an essentially stock chassis didn't help much either. So, after about six months on the road I decided to tear it down and start over. The good...I finally really got a good look at the car I bought. The bad...teardown really sucks in a 1-car garage with basic tools! Also, I found a broken piston during the engine tear-down. Definitely time to start over.

This was taken after the coupe's last day on the road.

Tear down in progress...

Last edited by CombatMedic; 11-04-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    '93 Coupe under construction...cage, mini-tubs and a N/A 363 in the works.

my shit is slow CMC Boss460 BOTTLEFED's Avatar

fuckin thing looks nice and clean,gonna need more details!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Ls swap hater 001
    Cmc mcrib crew 001
    Cmc sn95 crew 001
    Head of CMC streamwood chapter

Quote Originally Posted by BOTTLEFED View Post
    fuckin thing looks nice and clean,gonna need more details!!

Thanks, BOTTLEFED! Honestly, it's one of those cars that looks really good from a distance. The body and paint will have to be redone at some point. For once, I'm going to focus on function before form.

BTW, I've been following your build...THAT's an amazing car!

While I was tearing the car apart, I figured I'd make a build plan...for once. The budget was a bit tight, and I wanted to get the car good to 8.50 so I didn't have to redo a cage in the future. While this is a street/strip car, I really wanted to do mini tubs now, as I would end up doing them at some point anyways.
    I wasn't going to waste anymore money on stock blocks, so a Dart block was a must. I decided that I'd go N/A and carb to save a few bucks, and sell off the supercharger and FI parts to start the chassis build. Well, I ended up selling everything except the TKO 600/scatter shield, drive shaft, Moser 9" and the Billet Specialties wheels and tires.

As I sold parts, I bought the new ones on my wish list. The tubs and frame connectors are from Wolfe, rear suspension is all TRZ with Viking coil-overs, the front is Racecraft with Strange coil-overs, and I had a tank built by BBRC. While it wasn't exactly cost effective, I really wanted the BBRC tank instead of putting a cell in the trunk (street car?). This would end up complicating the mini tub a bit, later on.

The first place I started working on was the 9". I took the rear end back to Moser to get narrowed and rebuilt. I wanted it narrowed, but I could only go so far as I was stuck with putting the old wheels back on (with spacers on the back) so I could roll the car around. I ended up getting it narrowed 1.75" on each side, replacing the "Mickey Mouse" upper control arm mounts, and swapping out the spool and 3.73s with a Detroit Tru-Trac and 4.30s. The 35-spline axles were also shortened, accordingly. The folks at Moser were pretty nice, also gave me a deal on an Explorer rear disc kit. Not exactly what I wanted but I couldn't pass it up.

I also sold the 15x8" rear wheels, picked up some new 15x10s and mounted up my old 275/60 Drag Radial Pros for now.
    Last edited by CombatMedic; 11-04-2018 at 02:16 PM.

As I'd mentioned, the plan for the engine was to go N/A and try to get rolling on the cheap as the real money was going into chassis suspension. To that end, I picked up a nice (or so I thought) running, stock block 347 with a Moroso pan and Innovators West balancer for a great price.

I also picked up some nice used parts:
    AFR 205 heads
    Ported Vr Jr intake
    Kooks long tubes.

I added some new parts to the mix:
    A custom Bullet hydraulic roller (239/243, .600/.600. 108)
    AED carb
    MSD Programable 6AL/distributer/coil
    FTI LSx spring kit
    Morel lifters
    Meziere electric water pump

I figured it would be fun until I could afford a real shortblock...

...well, $%!# happens! Say no to crack...

No more stock blocks for me! After lots of phone calls, e-mails and questions to a few engine builders, I was really impressed with Zach from ZSR engines. We ended up putting together a N/A 363 combination with some of my parts that should get me where I want:

Dart SHP block
    Lunati Voodoo crank
    Molnar billet rods
    Mahle pistons (11:1 total static)
    New custom cam (247/253, .619/.621, 109)
    Trend pushrods
    Morel Lifters
    LSx spring kit from FTI

Along with my parts:
    AFR 205s
    FTI LSx spring kit
    Morel lifters
    Edelbrock Vr Jr
    AED 750 HO carb
    Moroso Pan
    Innovators West balancer
    Meziere electric water pump
    Kooks 1 3/4"x 3" headers

With the TKO, 4.30s and 28" tires should be a fun street/strip car. Hopefully I won't need more gear!
    Last edited by CombatMedic; 11-05-2018 at 11:36 AM.

^ Amateur Using Nitrous Oxide CMC Event Coordinator MGLT's Avatar

Nice! You're going about things the right way. I followed a similar build plan with my car and still have some things I'd do a little differently.

That 363 will run hard at 11:1 compression and I'm sure would respond well to nitrous if you ever want more down the road.
    -Matt

2012 Mustang Boss 302 - Garage Queen Edition
    1990 Mustang 5.0 LX - Round the block race car
    1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

Quote Originally Posted by MGLT View Post
    Nice! You're going about things the right way. I followed a similar build plan with my car and still have some things I'd do a little differently.

That 363 will run hard at 11:1 compression and I'm sure would respond well to nitrous if you ever want more down the road.
    Thanks, Matt...hopefully it does run hard. Not that it was a need at this point, I did pick up a nitrous kit for a good price this week. I'll just throw a 150 shot at it when I'm at the track. I blame your influence!

my shit is slow CMC Boss460 BOTTLEFED's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CombatMedic View Post
    Thanks, BOTTLEFED! Honestly, it's one of those cars that looks really good from a distance. The body and paint will have to be redone at some point. For once, I'm going to focus on function before form.

BTW, I've been following your build...THAT's an amazing car!
    thanks! and looks like you have put together a nice bunch of parts, that 363 will run good!

Ls swap hater 001
    Cmc mcrib crew 001
    Cmc sn95 crew 001
    Head of CMC streamwood chapter

Anyone who has been stuck with a 1-car garage doubling as storage and workshop can probably relate to this scene...

After the teardown, there were 7-8 months where I couldn't do much with the car. Next on the list was the chassis work that was well beyond by skill level and took inventory. At this point buying, selling and trading parts became what felt like a part-time job. Made some good deals and some bad, but most ended up being a positive experience. One side of the garage, my friend's shop, and at times my living room became storage for all of the new and new to me parts.

Last edited by CombatMedic; 11-06-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Besides buying and selling parts, I also spent months researching all of the chassis/suspension work that I wanted done, along with talking to a lot of people from a bunch of chassis shops in the Midwest. I knew that I wanted a really light car with an 8.50 certified chassis/cage, but I also wanted to make some concessions for street driving (i.e. no fuel cell in trunk). There were quite a few shops that didn't want to play with a fox body at all and some that wouldn't do the mini-tub without cutting out the trunk floor and installing a cell. Those who were willing to do the work, would only do it if it was all done at once...something I really couldn't do at the time.

Fortunately, through some mutual Mustang friends, I got in contact with John at Morgan Performance in Indiana. After a lot of talking and planning, we worked out a deal where he would do all of the work that I wanted, but spread out over time. That pretty much let me pay as we went along, and allowed him to work on other jobs in between. Was really nice on his part as my car is always in the way...first on the lift, now on the frame table.

The Coupe finally moved, even if not under its own power...

The first order of business was for John to go through the whole car. It always sucks when someone else finds even more wrong with your car, but I'm glad to get everything fixed. The front suspension was an odd combination of an ancient Griggs k-member, fabricated control arms with heim joints and no ball joints, with Lakewood 90/10 struts and 200lb coil over kit (WTF?). He replaced the front suspension with my new parts, tacked in my torque box plates, welded up the boxes, and started cutting for the mini tubs and coil-over mount. He also went ahead and tacked in the adjustable lower mounts on my 9" rear to use during the mock up.

Last edited by CombatMedic; 11-05-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Thread Information