Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subframes & Welding

Default Subframes & Welding

I'd like to weld my MM sub frames into my car. Yet I have no welding experience, and have no welder. I'd like to build my skills, so I'm looking for a couple things. Primarily, I'm looking for a solid welding unit that can handle installing subframes (and realistically similar tasks, but not much more).

Naturally there will be much practicing going on upon defenseless pieces of steel beforehand. But from what I've read, a MIG in the area of 130 should accomplish this goal of welding in subframes and gaining experience and knowledge.

I'd like some recommendations on welders. Please keep in mind that the primary goal is to install the subframes, and that price is sadly always a huge factor. (If you have a welder that fits this mold that you would like to part with, please feel free to DM.) I also have a plethora of Q's about welding, but I feel that's a topic for another category or date..

Thanks!
    2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT

Senior Member CMC CobraJet ModularMadMan's Avatar
    From Donald Trump's "Basket Of Deplorables"

- Get yourself the best welding machine you can afford. Lincoln or Miller machines are the best.
    Forget about the Horror Fright garbage machines.

- I also recommend getting a 220 volt machine. You'll have a higher capacity welding machine and the machine will have a better duty cycle.

- You'll also need a bottle of shielding gas. Forget about using that no shielding gas required flux core welding wire garbage. Welds like crap & looks like crap. Argon & Co2 shielding gas mix has always worked well for me. Straight Co2 will also work if your budget is tight.

- This is the machine I have:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...473-2/e724.pdf

- Also: Use quality welding consumables. It really does make a difference. Lincoln or Hobart welding wire only.

- Do not purchase Lincoln welding machines at Home Depot. These are not the same machines sold at professional welding stores.

- Check out the Airgas welding store in Hammond Indiana. Plenty of machines on display and knowledgeable salesmen to answer your questions. Ask for Ellis. He sold me the MIG & TIG welders I have.

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Post Dislike Butthurt Victims Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Trainee at DynotuneMP CMC Boss460 LTDmasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crewwolfy View Post
    I'd like to weld my MM sub frames into my car. Yet I have no welding experience, and have no welder. I'd like to build my skills, so I'm looking for a couple things. Primarily, I'm looking for a solid welding unit that can handle installing subframes (and realistically similar tasks, but not much more).

Naturally there will be much practicing going on upon defenseless pieces of steel beforehand. But from what I've read, a MIG in the area of 130 should accomplish this goal of welding in subframes and gaining experience and knowledge.

I'd like some recommendations on welders. Please keep in mind that the primary goal is to install the subframes, and that price is sadly always a huge factor. (If you have a welder that fits this mold that you would like to part with, please feel free to DM.) I also have a plethora of Q's about welding, but I feel that's a topic for another category or date..

Thanks!
    I've done quite a few subframe connectors at the shop.

key things to remember -

I highly reccomend 220 volt but you do need a 220 outlet. If you don't have one, a 140 amp 120 volt will get the job done. Iv'e done it on a 120 volt and it works but the welds are not the prettiest

Stay away from flux core. it's good for one thing - making crappy welds.

At the shop we have a Hobart 220 volt welder and it works great. 90% of our use for it is for subframe connectors. I've used Hobarts in the past at other shops and i never had a complaint about them. Miller same thing, great machines. I got mixed reviews on Lincoln but they do the job. Harbor freight used to sell Clarke welders back in the day that were halfway descent. I had one that eventually stopped working after 10 years. I wouldn't go there for the welders they have now.

I know your budget is tight but I HIGHLY reccomend that you spend the coin on a good mask. Your eyes are extremely important and i would not trust them on a crappy mask. You don't have to spend big $$$ for what you're doing but don't cheap out on the mask. the last thing you want to do is fry your eyes or weld where you're not supposed to because you couldnt see.

SURFACE PREP IS KEY!!!! it doesn't matter how good the welder is, if your surface isn't clean bare metal. the welds will never stick. just keep that in mind
    Hello, My name is Epi and i buy old junky mustangs

________\___
    [-O--------O---)

'67 Coupe - MGLT approved

www.DynotuneMP.com

www.FB.com/DynotuneMP

Fat Tire Hotrods CMC SuperCobraJet strtcar's Avatar

Like others said, you want gas welder, not flux core. Depending on budget $250 will get you a Eastwood 135, if you can spring for one that will last a lifetime get a Hobart 140, i think around $500.

^ Amateur Using Nitrous Oxide CMC Administrator MGLT's Avatar

I really really like Hobart MIG welders for the home garage. I have a Hobart Handler 140 and it welds very nicely for a 120v machine. The arc is nice and steady compared to the cheap Campbell Hausfeld welder I previously had. The ground clamp and torch are nice and it has metal drive rollers. It is made in the United States in one of the same plants that Miller welders are made in.

As already mentioned, avoid Harbor Freight and anything from Home Depot. The Lincoln welders from Home Depot are cheap price point garbage, meant only for Home Depot shelves. They have plastic drive assemblies and are lesser quality than what you would get from a welding store or authorized Lincoln dealer.
    -Matt

2012 Mustang Boss 302 - Garage Queen Edition
    1990 Mustang 5.0 LX - Round the block race car
    1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

Fat Tire Hotrods CMC SuperCobraJet strtcar's Avatar

Also another thing to consider, Farm & Fleet sells Hobart, and you can get like 0% financing for 6 months. Might make getting a bigger until more palpable.

I dont necessarily need to be here for this CMC SuperCobraJet Shaggy's Avatar

Subscribing. I would also like to learn welding.
    Blinkstang: Blane laughs at fear, in fact I think fear is a little scared of him...

Registered User CMC 281 06redgt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Subscribing. I would also like to learn welding.
    That's a nice TIG weld in your profile pic. Your handiwork?

Genuine vanilla face CMC SuperCobraJet Milhouse's Avatar

Donít forget about Everlast welders. Big features at budget prices.

Like Epi said, you only get one set of eyes. Spend money on a good helmet. I wish I would have listened to experienced guys when I was younger and bought a good helmet.
    Jason

President CMC Hoffman Estates chapter
    1991 5.0 lx.....sold
    1998 GT current slow ass p.o.s.

TAJ 4 LYFE

^ Amateur Using Nitrous Oxide CMC Administrator MGLT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    Don’t forget about Everlast welders. Big features at budget prices.

Like Epi said, you only get one set of eyes. Spend money on a good helmet. I wish I would have listened to experienced guys when I was younger and bought a good helmet.
    Best advice here. A good helmet is well worth the cost! Not only will they protect your eyes, but you will also be able to see better. After using a crappy harbor freight auto darkening helmet, I finally dropped the cash on a Jackson Balder BH3 when it was on sale. The response time is so much faster and it's a lot easier to see. Plus with all of the name brand helmets, you can get replacement parts, so it should be a one time purchase that lasts a very long time.
    -Matt

2012 Mustang Boss 302 - Garage Queen Edition
    1990 Mustang 5.0 LX - Round the block race car
    1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

Thread Information