Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 02 GT Clutch Replacement

It's almost like you've gone through this before.. Yeah, tight as eff, and cramped. Penetrating oil, impact wrench & breaker bar, and patience...
    Last edited by crewwolfy; 03-11-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT

Struggled on the top bolt of the RH exhaust. At one point, my combo of swivel, extensions and socket exploded. My first reaction was 'fuck, ok, what broke'. As it turned out, nothing but the grip on the exhaust bolt broke. H-pipe removed.

The starter was a bitch. But reading previous endeavors, I expected as much. As it turned out, this was much less difficult than the exhaust. I took a picture of the setup I used, but my phone is shit after three years, so pics of setup to follow (maybe). I'd read of massive extension setups, but what worked for me was a swiveling .25" ratchet, .25" swivel joint, and a 13mm .25" socket. And nitrile (or vinyl) gloves, which made a huge difference over the typical mechanic gloves, as far as feel goes. In the end, starter is out and the fun begins..

I read about these endeavors taking hours. If you're in my situation (on your back under a car on jack stands with non-air-powered-tools), I'd suggest translating hours into days. Or maybe it's just me..

Update. Taking things off was a bit of a pain, as previously stated, but managed. Of all the guides I've read, none ever mentioned unbolting the sheet between the engine and the trans from the trans.. I like to think the humbling moments in life are valuable.. I also read/watched a number of oil seal replacement guides/vids, but none really applied until I found this article, which was my exact situation (not sure the difference between an 02 and 05 in this area, but the process perfectly applied).

Install has been pretty easy so far. The flywheel was a bit of a monster, until I did some measuring. One of the six bolts is closer to a neighbor, and further from the other. All the others are equidistant. After a couple hours of trying to eye it, I measured the flywheel and the crank holes, marked and mounted on the first try.

The pressure plate was also a bit tricky, but much less so. I attached with two bolts nearest each other. Both bolts were only tight enough to grab all the threads but not tightened down, which meant the other end would be swung open enough for the clutch disc. Installed that and the guide, hand tightened everything, tightened a bit more (like when mounting a wheel). Then removed a bolt, applied loctite, torqued down, and moved to the most opposite bolt. Pretty simple. I was concerned at first that the guide wasn't spinning freely as I did this, but I realized quickly that it wasn't the spinning that should be free, but the in-and-out motion, which ended up being silky smooth.

Starter goes back in tomorrow, then the trans. Still not really sure how it'll go lining up the O2 bracket with the top bolts, much less the whole trans in general, but I'm sure I'll figure something out..
    Last edited by crewwolfy; 04-05-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Thread Information