Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: D mark performance

Custom Tuner CMC Sponsor DynotuneMP's Avatar

If you haven't owned your own business you can't possibly understand the huge undertaking it is. The only way a one man operation will work is if you have next to zero over head cost like I did for many years. Once I purchased the 5 acres my shop is on now my over head shot up 10 fold.

Think about it. A one man operation needs to make about a $800 per day to keep the doors open. At $80hr that's a 10hr day not including lunch. I easily spend 2hrs a day on the phone meaning those hrs are not billable. Another hour ordering parts, returning parts and mailing out parts. I also spend at least an hour a day doing estimates and looking up prices. That's $320 a day of non billable time. If I pay myself $30hr x 10hrs that's $300 going out in labor cost. So I spend 6hr working on cars making $480 if I run at 100%. At 50yrs old and 40,000 interruptions I run around 75% so After I pay myself that leaves me $60 a day to pay the mortgage, insurance, property tax, Elec. bill, workmans comp, shop supplies, tools, software and shop repairs.

The only way to get to $800 per day is for there to be a 2nd revenue.... I.E. an employee. The employee should have 8 billable hours to his credit every day however that's just not the case. If you can get an employee to run at 80% your doing great. So 8hrs x $80 per hr is $640 of income at 100% efficiency at 80% = $512 minus his wages ($25) or $200 leaves $312.

So the employee's 312 plus my $60 comes up to $372 profit for the day to cover all the expenses outside our wages. Trust me when I say the juice is not worth the squeeze most day.
    www.DynotuneMP.com

847-347-5331 or email: Mike@DynotuneMP.com

We have the Lowest prices in Northern IL on Vortech,Paxton, and Pro-Charger super chargers.

We are now one of the largest Vortech and Paxton Supercharger dealer in IL. Please contact us for the best prices around.

VISA & MASTERCARD accepted

Fat Tire Hotrods CMC SuperCobraJet strtcar's Avatar

Well said Mike.

DEF LEPPARD SUCKS! CMC Boss460 fkur4v's Avatar

Very well said. Let’s also take into customers who decide to add on to their original quotes once the car is blown apart. Or order the wrong parts and the disabled car sits on the lift. A tied-up rack averages me about 500 bucks a week(based on what’s scheduled behind it) not to mention if you have a 2k job you’ve quoted labor alone, customers expect a discount on their add-on’s Even if you have to tear something back down a 2nd time.

Everything you do is timed. From the job itself to the next one in. It’s constant stress, and in the land of aftermarket parts it’s a mine field of variables. Some people get it and some people don’t.

Custom Tuner CMC Sponsor DynotuneMP's Avatar

Don't even get me started on having a car dead on a lift. I can't tell you how many times a customer brings in used parts wanting them installed swearing he has everything and somethings missing that I have to order OR new part "A" that he ordered doesn't work with new part "B" he ordered and now the car is dead on the lift. There have been times I've had to push the same car in and out of shop 3 times. That doesn't sound like a big dead however there is time picking up all the parts putting them in the trunk pushing the car outside then getting the guys and pushing the car back inside a few days later and unloading the parts and figuring where you left off.

Lets say you have 3 guys working for you @ $30 per hr and its 5min to push it out and five back in and you have to do it 3 times. Thats 30min of non billable time on top of the money spent paying the guys. At $30 per hour per man thats $1.50 a min in wages times 30 min means you just lost $45 paying the techs to push a car around and $40 per tech x 3 for the half hour each man wasn't able to bill a customer so there is $120 in lost revenue for that week

Lets talk about the bolt bin. I hate the bolt bin. This is the bin in our shop that has all the miscellaneous bolts.

The customer comes in with used parts or the new parts he purchased are missing a bolt. The Tech makes $30 hr so that comes to .50 a min if the tech has to search thru the bolt bin for 10min looking for a bolt that little bolt just cost me $5 in wages and $13.33 in lost revenue for that 10min. he wasn't being productive. So between the $13.33 in lost productivity and the $5 I paid the tech in wages the freaking bolt just cost $18.33. Could you imagine what the customer would say if there was a $18.33 charge on his bill for a 10m 1.25 pitch bolt? He would have a fit then ask me for a discount and then give me a bad review when I didn't wash his car before he picked it up.
    www.DynotuneMP.com

847-347-5331 or email: Mike@DynotuneMP.com

We have the Lowest prices in Northern IL on Vortech,Paxton, and Pro-Charger super chargers.

We are now one of the largest Vortech and Paxton Supercharger dealer in IL. Please contact us for the best prices around.

VISA & MASTERCARD accepted

DEF LEPPARD SUCKS! CMC Boss460 fkur4v's Avatar

...the fucking bolt bin.... there’s a special place in hell for that

CMC Newbie CMC Newbie!

So.... About Drew coming on for 5 mins to make a quick post?

Senior Member CMC Boss460 5LugCriff's Avatar

It's not an easy gig. Big builds are tough, there's parts to be ordered, wrong parts,things don't always fit right, fab work, customers change their mind, money may be short. It's easy for a car to sit while other things are being worked on.
    Drew did go full time at one point with his shop, but a constant source of income and medical benefits are nice to have too.
    Fox snob club member 0001
    Stang!!! It's Highly Addictive!!!!
    89 "Fanged" Stang (till we meet again)
    97 Ford F350 "Kane"
    87 GT project "Envy" because racecar!!
    86 Capri!! "Das Capri"
    88 notch "Bloo"
    92 hatch project "SeaHorse" (wifey's)

Senior Member CMC Boss460 5LugCriff's Avatar

Mike and nate pretty much nailed it, but if I'm pushing a customers car in and out of my shop multiple times they're getting charged for it. Your time is valuable so bill for it. I know it sounds like a dick move but, most of us work a regular day job too and our time is too valuable to be frustrated about not getting paid for it. Charge em!
    Fox snob club member 0001
    Stang!!! It's Highly Addictive!!!!
    89 "Fanged" Stang (till we meet again)
    97 Ford F350 "Kane"
    87 GT project "Envy" because racecar!!
    86 Capri!! "Das Capri"
    88 notch "Bloo"
    92 hatch project "SeaHorse" (wifey's)

Caliphate of CMC CMC Boss460 DirtyDan10's Avatar

Business is business if it were my shop they’d be my cars as I would take a mechanics lien on them.
    Tim Barth tuned
    --------------Secret Mod Racing INC. #9
    ---------------10th Anniversary Cobra Snob

-----------------------DirtyDan's Ride Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAST View Post
    Dan you are my idol

Trainee at DynotuneMP CMC Boss460 LTDmasta's Avatar

Mike and Nate pretty much nailed it. I've been in automotive business for 15 years and the performance side is just a whole different world compared to general repair. I've been working part-time for Mike since 2015 then as of June of last year i became his full-time mechanic and shop manager and I've learned just how different of an operation it is. In a general repair setting, stock parts get replaced with stock parts, BOOM done. In the performance world, the biggest killer is large projects that have mismatched or missing parts, or both. Take into consideration that most aftermarket parts are designed around a stock engine or stock suspension/body, etc. When you start adding on aftermarket parts ontop of other aftermarket parts, sometimes it will be fine but it seems like more often than not there is modification involved. A good example seems to be the most common problem with Fox bodies is adding on aftermarket tall valve covers and throttle linkage clearance with an aftermaket intake.. i cannot tell you how many times this causes a problem. Most of the time the tall valve covers are needed to clear roller rockers, most times you can get away wth a spacer, but then you run into hood clearance issues... the problem just snowballs from there.. a simple valve cover just cost the customer an extra 4-5 hours labor from finding out what size spacer, possibly modifying the bracket, checking hood clearance, researching parts, etc. Then now the car is stuck on the lift because the part you needed to finish the job is not there. so an extra hour pushing the car out, pushing it back in.

I cannot imagine being a one-man band and dealing with this on a consistent basis. You pretty much have to be extremely selective on what you take in in order to be able to complete the job in a timely manner. Taking on too much at once is far worse than taking on too little
    Hello, My name is Epi and i buy old junky mustangs

________\___
    [-O--------O---)

'67 Coupe - MGLT approved

www.DynotuneMP.com

www.FB.com/DynotuneMP

Thread Information