Thread: Upgraded quad shocks suggestions/worth it?

Registered User CMC 289

Default Upgraded quad shocks suggestions/worth it?

Right now, I don't have quad shocks on the car. (88 mustang gt) Now I'm pretty sure it's not performing as well as it could because of that, but I'm wondering, there are options out there ranging from $20 a shock to $150 a shock. How much is too much? Anyone have experience with the Koni Reds, Bilstein, or KYB Gas-a-just? The $20 ones from Summit are just stock quality, I believe. Also, will I have issues with 9" wide rims in the back. I guess I can put my tired old ones on to check that. I just took them off before I put on the wheels reading they can be an issue, didn't even check it.

I can't see that how $150 shocks in the back is really going to make a change unless I'm drag launching the car, but I do autocross, so I am pushing the rear end a bit. It can definitely get loose sometimes. I'm still finding that limit (a little too often).

Thanks for any feedback. I'd really like to hear from people that have used them/used different ones.

Registered User CMC Newbie! Brian_89_GT's Avatar

I have the KYB rear quad shocks on my '89 and it's a noticeable difference when the outer "anti-hop" ones were removed vs having them all installed. My car is set up with daily street and occasional auto-X driving in mind.

I'd recommend always having quad shocks on the car unless your rear wheels are too wide for them to fit (turning the outer shocks around to mount the opposite way might help solve that issue) or you have something else major (traction bars or something) already fitted that renders them unnecessary.
    Last edited by Brian_89_GT; 08-29-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    1989 Mustang GT 5.0L convertible | Oxford White | Built 11/02/1988 | 133k miles.

^ Amateur Using Nitrous Oxide CMC Event Coordinator MGLT's Avatar

I would get rid of the quad shocks. If you have plans to run a 275 or wider rear tire, they won't clear.

I would look into upgrading the upper and lower controls arms first. Stiffer control arms, adjusted to the proper pinion angle, will take care of all wheel hop problems. A decent set of LCAs can be bought for ~$200. That would be money better spent than ~$150 for quad shocks.
    -Matt

2012 Mustang Boss 302 - Garage Queen Edition
    1990 Mustang 5.0 LX - Round the block race car
    1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

Registered User CMC 289

I have some better not so better control arms, SR performance, the American Muscle brand. I have a set of used steeda lowers as well that aren't on the car. Ill only be running 255 probably. So I guess rather than spending that kind of money on quads, which I'm still curious who spends that and why, I should get an MM panhard bar.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    I drive a Prius.... and an 88 Mustang GT. Guess which one is more fun.

Registered User CMC 281

I agree with MGLT, spend the money on better upper and lower control arms and ditch the quad shock

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just 30 years of slavery remain. CMC Boss460 03RedFireGT's Avatar

Still run the stock quads on my '03 with MM lowers, Lakewood uppers, and a 315 tire

5outh 5ide Hitman CMC Boss351 HeavyG's Avatar

I deleted the Quads......Installed Uppers and Lower Control Arms.....No Issues....Traction Galore !
    Arsenal:
    Beast-Blacked Out C6 Vette "Blak Betty"
    DD-Pearl White IS250 "White Chocolate"
    Project- Red Foxbody GT T-TOP "Cherry Bomb"
    Previous-CTSV, 90GT Vert, 87GT Vert, SVT Lightning

CMC Admin CMC Administrator FastGT94's Avatar

quads can go after upgrading UCAs/LCAs to a different bushing material
    -Dale
    CMC SN95 Crew #002
    Low dyno numbers/respectable ET member #001

OCD GT (click)

|CMC| Chicagoland Mustang Club, YOUR Chicago Illinois based Mustang Club