Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: MGLT's 1990 LX Hatchback

^ Amateur Using Nitrous Oxide CMC Event Coordinator MGLT's Avatar

Default MGLT's 1990 LX Hatchback

Well since my other member's rides thread was originally made for 2 cars and is a giant cluster to try to read, I figured I'd make a new one that is more organized.

I bought this car a few years ago when I was just beginning college. I've driven it some and made a few passes at the track, but it's spent more time on jack stands, or disassembled and spread out in multiple pieces across my garage and even in the house . It went a couple of years just sitting while I was wrapping up college because I couldn't find time to work on it and I was pretty much your typical broke college kid.

I've had my share of frustrating moments and came close to wanting to sell it several times, but stuck with my build and I'm finally starting to wrap things up. The car is 99% rust free and is all original paint, with the exception of the aftermarket cowl hood. I am the 3rd owner of the car and it has never seen snow. When I bought it, the car was a pretty well built mid 11 second index class racing car. The car was clean with some nice high quality parts on it, but after many passes down the quarter mile, it was in need of some refreshing. Along with that, it wasn't very driveable on the street.

Here is how it looked the day I brought it home

And of course, here is an engine bay shot the following morning when I had the car out in the daylight. Disregard the cloth over the end of the intake pipe. It was a typical race car and didn't have an air filter on it when I bought it.

I bought the car in December, so it had to sit for what felt like the longest winter of my life. When it started getting warmer out, I upgraded to a 3G alternator, installed a Ford Contour 2 speed electric fan, and installed an oil cooler (this was a must because the engine block had filler in it). I also added Autometer Phantom Oil Pressure, Water Temp, and Fuel Pressure gauges so I can monitor things. These basic mods made the car driveable on the street and I spent my first summer with the car driving it any chance I got.

The first appearance mod I did was new OEM reproduction headlights from Latemodel Resto. New headlights alone made the front end look much nicer.

I took the car to it's first cruise night with me as the owner. Look at young MG cruise in the 5.0 like a bauce!

Later that summer I tried drag racing for my very first time and fell in love with this ridiculous hobby that has since snowballed into a downward spiral of money spending. The car ran consistent high 11s with me driving and having no clue what I'm doing. I later found out I was making passes with a leaking head gasket, but I'll get to that.

By then, it was towards the end of the season and the car got parked in the garage where it would end up sitting for 2 years

Then I got this fantastic idea that I wanted to pull the engine and clean up the engine bay. Here is the beginning of teardown.

Weight reduction mods. Don't mind that puddle of trans fluid.

Just getting started!

Sheet metal work is all done! Time to get started with the Bondo! (I actually used USC All Metal. It should handle high temperatures much better and has similar properties to steel once its hardened)

Here it is in primer.

Annnd here it is with a coat of paint

I got the engine back in (Where it would only stay for a short time )

Amateurs don't use nitrous oxide

Starting to look like a car again!

-Matt

2012 Mustang Boss 302 - Garage Queen Edition
    1990 Mustang 5.0 LX - Round the block race car
    1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

The engine runs and idles, so now I'm wiring up the nitrous solenoids.

Everything is going great...until I decide to take the car for a test drive and it feels sluggish with no power . After going threw some diagnostics, I determined either cylinder 3 or 4 wasn't firing. I ended up removing the upper intake manifold and found some small pieces of metal in the #3 intake runner. I pulled the cylinder head and found a blown head gasket. The fire ring blew out and worked its way into cylinder #3 . The bits of metal scored the cylinder wall. Here is a potato pic. I must have been shaking with the camera during my moment of frustration.

Guess what this means? Time to pull the engine!

At that point, I was deep into my college courses and pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering. The car basically sat until I graduated. It sat under the cover and was used as a shelf in the garage for awhile. Sometimes I would sit in it and make race car noises. In this pic, I lifted up the cover to make sure the car was still there.

I scraped together what little cash I had and sent my cylinder heads to Hi Flow heads in Alsip to be ported and rebuilt. Here are my cylinder heads after I received them. I went with Miller Mid-Lift roller rockers and replaced the junk budget rockers that I had previously.

The car sat until it got moved into our new garage. So much more room for activities!

Car looks pretty good for being a 20+ year old clunker!

I acquired a new to me engine block from Haze for the low price of a case of beer and sent that away to Opel Engineering with my rotating assembly. After a few weeks, I received my shortblock and painted it Modern Ford Blue.

Assembling the top end

Almost done!

I once again had the engine between the fenders.

But...I'm a newb and broke the transmission fluid pump.

I'm getting pretty good at pulling this engine Out it comes and then a few days later it went back in after I replaced the transmission pump gears. I'd say it was a success this time around. Here is a video of the first start up.

The new engine runs great. After setting the timing, I backed it out of the garage and tested it

I drove the car for a season and then the tired AOD trans starting slipping too bad to even drive the car. It sat for a little while until earlier this year when I ordered a Freddy brown AOD with a manual valve body, transbrake, and 9.5" converter. I also figured now was a good time to upgrade brakes as well as the rear end.

I installed a MM manual brake conversion with a 94 Cobra MC

It got stock 99 to 04 front brakes with 94/95 spindles and I also installed UPR C/C plates at this time,

Love my new wheels!

Here is how its been sitting the last few weeks. i removed the old rear end and sold it. It is being replaced with a custom VRN 9" housing with Strange aluminum center section, spool, and 35 spline axles.

This week I just recieved my Holley HP EFI system. I can't wait to get rid of the stock ECU!

I'll continue to update this thread and I'll add some of the details on my engine, suspension, and driveline.
    Last edited by MGLT; 03-06-2015 at 11:05 PM.
    -Matt

1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

Ready for this... CMC Boss460 Chris91LX's Avatar

Thank you! Always wished you had separate members rides threads.

Looks like I should re-size my pictures lol. I'll do that tomorrow. I'll be posting pics of my new rear end after I pick it up from VRN in the morning
    Last edited by MGLT; 03-07-2015 at 07:35 PM.
    -Matt

1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

Senior Member CMC CobraJet Dh9250's Avatar

Very nice bud, keep up the good work! Before u know it I'll b in the lane next To you at Byron.

Car looks good. Really like the pony r wheels

2011 gt auto sterling grey. daily
    93 Lx coupe red on black tweed. garage queen
    88 Lx hatch regatta blue. TT dart427 T56 street car
    86 Lx coupe 5.0

Senior Member CMC CobraJet RatedSVT's Avatar

The stang is looking good! What cam are you running? Has a nice lope to it.
    2011: SVT Raptor (Blue Flame Mettalic)
    2009: Shelby GT500 (Vapor Silver)
    1988: LX Hatchback (Dark Shadow Gray)

Quote Originally Posted by Dh9250 View Post
    Very nice bud, keep up the good work! Before u know it I'll b in the lane next To you at Byron.

Car looks good. Really like the pony r wheels
    Thanks bro! I can't wait to start making passes again. It's been way too long!

Quote Originally Posted by RatedSVT View Post
    The stang is looking good! What cam are you running? Has a nice lope to it.
    It's an off the shelf Anderson N61 cam. It's matched up to Edelbrock Performer RPM heads that have been ported and upgraded with stiffer valve springs, and topped with a Performer RPM II manifold. The engine is a stock block bored to 308 cubic inches. The compression has been bumped up and it should respond well to nitrous.
    Last edited by MGLT; 03-08-2015 at 06:07 AM.
    -Matt

1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

Richard Cranium CMC Boss429 Tight Lines's Avatar

Very Nice Matt, love the attention to detail. Look forward to seeing this out and about.
    2014 GT500 Sterling Gray
    2011 GT500 Race Red - SOLD
    2011 GTCS White - SOLD

Fuck Photobucket

DEF LEPPARD SUCKS! CMC Boss460 fkur4v's Avatar

Yes! Where's the sexy 9"?

Quote Originally Posted by Tight Lines View Post
    Very Nice Matt, love the attention to detail. Look forward to seeing this out and about.

Thanks! It's kind of a 10 footer as it sits. The original paint has its share of flaws and of course it has dents and dings like any 20+ year old car. I'm going to finish this phase of my build and drive it for awhile, then I'll do paint an body work in a year or two. I've got a lot of time into this build and even more spent on parts. I'm over building it now, so I don't break things and have to rebuild it down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by fkurls1 View Post
    Yes! Where's the sexy 9"?
    I'm picking up my new rear end tomorrow morning. I'll post pics as soon as I get it!
    -Matt

1988 Mustang 5.0 GT

Thread Information